Friday, December 28, 2007

Arguing

Everyone does it. I love to debate ( I’m a master-debater) .. but seriously, I love stupid fights.

I hate people that argue stupidly as well. Fighting with the female speices, not flirty fighting - sucks most of all. (Brain ninjas)

A few interesting points (and I will borrow heavily from Wikipedia):

1. Correlation does not imply causation
example:
Sleeping with one's shoes on is strongly correlated with waking up with a headache.
Therefore, sleeping with one's shoes on causes headache.

2. Non sequitur

1. If A is true, then B is true.
2. B is stated to be true.
3. Therefore, A must be true.

example:
1. If I am a human (A) then I am a mammal. (B)
2. I am a mammal. (B)
3. Therefore, I am a human. (A)


3. Female argument aka Irrelevant Conclusion (also called Ignoratio Elenchi)--diverts attention away from a fact in dispute rather than address it directly. This is sometimes referred to as a "red herring". Subsets include:

1. Purely personal considerations (argumentum ad hominem),
2. popular sentiment (argumentum ad populum--appeal to the majority),
3. fear (argumentum ad baculum),
4. conventional propriety (argumentum ad verecundiam)
5. Fallacy of the Consequent--draws a conclusion from premises that do not support that conclusion (e.g., If I have the flu, then I have a sore throat. I have a sore throat. Therefore, I have the flu. Other illnesses may cause sore throat.)
6.Begging the question (also called Petitio Principii, Circulus in Probando--arguing in a circle, or assuming the answer)--demonstrates a conclusion by means of premises that assume that conclusion (e.g., We must institute the death penalty to discourage violent crime. This statement assumes the violent crime rate will fall when the death penalty is imposed.)

Advice:
1. Define your terms.
2. Avoid nothing fights.
3. Let her win.

No comments: